Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Pumpkin Patch


My favorite pumpkin patch.
Everyone has a favorite pumpkin patch. The one to the right is my preferred acre of choice. It's owned by a local, third generation, crop farmer and his family.

I used to buy the best hay you'll ever find here, but I no longer have my own farm so I'm not currently in the market for forage. Part of the charm of picking up hay was the chit-chat with farmer Dave about crops, our John Deere tractors, and the weather.

The next best thing to all that "farmerly" charm is now visiting  Dave's pumpkin patch, where I purchase the round beauties from him for pies, decoration, and for an occasional treat for the deer out back.

Pumpkins are really cool because of all the different colors, shapes, textures, and versatility as a food item. Warts, uncommon colors, and bizarre shaped pumpkins are my favorite. I can find them all in this wonderful, homey, someplace-where-you-can-go-back pumpkin patch.

4 comments:

lightly said...

i find its best to avoid questions related to john deere or the weather.
the john deere is always bloody broken and it looks like its gonna rain.
and on a personal note baboons bite even if the farmer states otherwise.

thanks Pam for the memories

Pam Beers. said...

Love your comments, lightly. Just to let you know, we have no baboons roaming upstate New York.

Pumpkins are happy memory squash-gourd things.

Randy Johnson said...

I’ve never had much use for pumpkin patches. As long as I’ve been buying pumpkins, I’ve never had one spring a leak. Maybe I’ve just been lucky.

Pam Beers. said...

Randy, it's about time you left a comment. ;) It's a real groaner too. I love it!