Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Foot in Mouth Embarrassing Moment


I'm in Florida right now. We celebrated my Mom's 90th birthday on Sunday, the 24th. In addition, I met my future son-in-law, Mark for the first time, who flew in from Key West with my daughter, Teri, on Sunday. I'm staying with my son, John who has a new girlfriend, Solidad. My brother, Terry added to the mix of intersting people.

Then it happened. We were talking about getting together in another six months for a cookout. Each person discussed what would be good to cook on the grill. Everything was mentioned except hot dogs. This is where I piped in and said, "You forgot the tube steaks. I love tube steaks." Mark looked at me in disbelief as everyone turned three shades of red and burst out laughing. I had no idea what they were laughing at. Mark turned to Teri grinning from ear to ear and said, "Your mother is a wild woman."

John was on his Blackberry, handed it to me and said, "Here's the definition of a tube steak." After reading the definition I yelped, "Are you kidding me! All this time I thought a tube steak meant hot dog. That's what it means in Pennsylvania!"

I'm not going to tell you what tube steak means. Use your imagination or look it up. Be careful what area of the country you use certain words so you don't have a foot-in-mouth embarrassing moment.

P.S. My 90 year old mother thought it was so funny she was checking her 1972 copyrighted dictionary to see if tube steak was in there. It wasn't.

5 comments:

ian in hamburg said...

Ever heard the ZZ Top song the Tube Steak Boogie? It comes right after Pearl Necklace...

lightly said...

oh i have to invite you to visit

Pam Beers. said...

lightly...LMAO! Your right across the "pond". Maybe I will.

Ian...Never heard the song. I'm going to check it out on YouTube right now.

Thanks for the comments, both of you.

itsmecissy said...

ROFLMAO - it's "Tube Snake Boogie" and here's the YouTube clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIP-WL0i7tA

Tube steak, weiners, hot dogs, red hots, you just keep on keeping it REAL Pam!!!

Pam Beers. said...

itsme...It is Tube Steak Boogie. I remember it now. Used to dance to it but never really listened to the words. I always thought the lyrics were Two Step Boogie. Good grief!