Saturday, April 17, 2010

Have You Heard About This?


A good friend of mine sent me an interesting email. The content explained how to get rid of flies, wasps, and unwanted things that fly and go bump in the night or day or afternoon. My friend received it from a horse enthusiast such as myself, and she, in turn, received it from an Amish person who is an authority on the subject of natural fly deterrents.

Here's the idea: Take a ziplock bag, fill it half full with water and put three pennies in it, then zip it shut. Next tack it to an area where you have experienced an abundance of fly infestation. For some reason, the flies take off for other parts.

Ann Says: I tried the ziplock bag and pennies this weekend. I have a horse trailer. The flies were bad while I was camping. I put the baggie with pennies above the door of the LQ. NOT ONE FLY came in the trailer. The horse trailer park had many. Not sure why it works but it does!

Danielle Martin Says: Fill a ziplock bag with water and 5 or 6 pennies and hang it in the problem area. In my case it was a particular window in my home. It had a slight passage way for insects. Ever since I have done that, it has kept flies and wasps away. Some say that wasps and flies mistake the bag for some other insect nest and are threatened.

Maggie Says: I swear by the plastic bag of water trick. I have them on porch and basement. We saw these in Northeast Mo. at an Amish grocery store & have used them since. They say it works because a fly sees a reflection & won't come around.

DJ Says: Regarding the science behind zip log bags of water? My research found that the millions of molecules of water presents its own prism effect and given that flies have a lot of eyes, to them it's like a zillion disco balls reflecting light, colors and movement in a dizzying manner. When you figure that flies are prey for many other bugs, animals, birds, etc., they simply won't take the risk of being around that much perceived action. I moved to a rural area and thought these "hillbillies" were just yanking my city boy chain but I tried it and it worked immediately! We went from hundreds of flies to seeing the occasional one, but he didn't hang around long.

I'm going to try this. No more costly fly sprays. No more inhaling fly spray fumes this summer. No more pesky flies that bite the horses. The equines will love it. Unless, of course, this whole thing is a lot of horse pucky (which is the problem in the first place).

5 comments:

ian in hamburg said...

It sounds far-fetched, but it's worth a try. Post about it with pics even if it doesn't work!

Randy Johnson said...

Our mini-donkeys hate fly spray. I can't wait to give this a try.

Pam Beers. said...

It's certainly cost-effective, easy to do, and healthy for everyone's lungs, eyes, and mucous membranes.

Thanks for the comments, ian, and Randy.

Randy, let me know how this idea works for you. It's not warm enough here yet for flies, except for an occasional "747" that goes buzzing through the house.

lightly said...

sure, this i have to see. i have yet to see a farm without flies and how a small plastic bag with a few pennies is going to stop flies is beyond me. flies fly in rain so sparkly water is not going to affect them. flies eat horse pucky, chickens eat flies , humans eat chicken its the circle of life, don't mess with the system.

but just for the record i have 3 pennies that says this is horse pucky, if it works Pam i will send you pennies if not just let me know i will fly to flychester to collect my 3 pennies. (well the winning are not important i just there to laugh at you in person)

Pam Beers. said...

lightly: It's a deal! I can't wait 'til I collect my three pennies.