Thursday, October 16, 2008

We Grow Great Pumpkins



It's that time of year in upstate New York...autumn. I love the warm days, cool nights, beautiful colors found in our leaves and mums, and the wonderful fresh produce found at our local farm stands during this season.

Pumpkins are harvested this time of year and are used for many things: pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, roasted pumpkin seeds, and decorations for Halloween..all things associated with happy childhood memories.

Bright orange pumpkins tossed into wooden bins, by the farmer who grew them, remind me of the hard work it takes to grow them in the first place. I remember planting pumpkin seeds, checking on them every day to see if anything had sprouted. It was so exciting when the first pumpkin finally matured.

I also remember sitting on my grandfather's lap while he drove his tractor, turning the soil with horse pucky tilled into the mix. My grandfather always said, "It's the horse pucky that grows great pumpkins." Think about that the next time you have a piece of pumpkin pie.

No comments: