Thursday, June 20, 2013

Entrails in the Sky

Jon  and I were sitting on the front porch watching the jets overhead. It was one of those beautiful late spring mornings complete with clear blue sky and bright sunshine. All was peaceful and quiet when I said, "What a great day for the pilots to fly! And look at those entrails in the sky!"

Keep in mind, I'm an English major who spent part of my teaching career creatively educating adolescents on the importance of good grammar.

Jon started laughing.  I said, "What's so funny?" He continued laughing then said, "You're the English major, think about it." "Think about what?!"  I was getting annoyed. "I think you meant contrails, not entrails. Those are contrails being emitted from the jets. If you're seeing entrails, the pilot's in a lot of trouble."

My retort was, "Oh yeah, I knew that." Then I thought, 'Contrails...water vapor, not entrails...exposed intestines.'

Every time we spot a jet flying with a long thin artificial cloud behind it, Jon snickers and says, "Hey Pam, look up in the sky, there's another one of those entrails."

Jet on over to Jenny's for more Alphabet Thursday "E" words.




11 comments:

lightly said...

flying the friendly sky's has just taken on a whole new meaning

fredamans said...

Beautiful shot!

Lmkazmierczak said...

For a moment I thought I'd been calling them by the wrong name....thanks for clearing that up♫ My Letter E: http://lauriekazmierczak.com/ever-green-evergreen/

Esther Joy said...

As a nurse, I loved this one! Entrails sounds like it was a good choice to me!

Valerie said...

Don't you just hate it when men won't drop it :O)

Showing my ignorance, I hadn't heard of contrails; here the trails are called just that ... trails. Somebody somewhere must have decided to drop the 'con'.

Eden House News and views said...

love it .our language is so funny

lissa said...

I think I would have make the same mistake. good E post.

have a great day.

SarahBeth said...

Ha! That's pretty funny! I wondered about your post title when I saw it on Alphabe-Thursday... :p
You know you'll never live it down...

Splendid Little Stars said...

Well, in a way, they look a bit like entrails.

Sandra Tyler said...

well don't feel bad. I'm an english major too and I never even knew the word for that was contrails in the first place.

Jenny said...

I really enjoyed your post for the letter "E"...

I will always think of you when I see the entrails in the sky... (((winkwink)))

Extraordinary job!

Thanks for linking.

A+