Saturday, January 14, 2012

Holy Smoke

Our church secretary, Vicki, called me today and asked if I was having a good day. Vicki never calls me, especially to ask if I'm having a good day. 'This is not a good sign,' I thought with an uneasy feeling, but I remained calm.  "As a matter of fact, I'm having a wonderful day," I said very chipper-like. "How about you?" "Well," Vicki said, "I have something to tell you." This was beginning to sound more ominous by the minute.

As the bereavement group minister at our church, I meet with a group of folks, once a month, who are trying to heal from their loss. At the last two meetings our group decided to dim the lights in the conference room and light candles in memory of their loved ones. We discovered that the candlelight meetings are more relaxing, peaceful, and spiritually uplifting. There was only one problem.

When the parish bookeeper came into the church office the following the morning she smelled smoke in the conference room. I forgot to blow out one of the candles, which was left burning all night. All I could  say was, "Thank God the church didn't burn down! Oh yeah, and I'm really sorry, Vicki." To which she replied, "From now on no more candles. We are further advised to lock up all matches, scissors, or any pointy objects when you are around." To which I replied, "Are you sure your bookeeper didn't smell sulphur this morning?"

2 comments:

lightly said...

wait i missed something here, don't we always have candles in the church burning 24/7
the whole reason you go to church is to look at the candles, also and not to put too much of a fine point on this but don't sister mary burn a candle for you when you being a little sinner.
maybe someone should have a little word with vicki on the whole candle thing

Pam Beers. said...

The candles weren't IN the church, lightly, I lit them in the conference room. Next time, I'll be sure to light one for you. Then you'll be true to your name LIGHTLY.