Friday, December 16, 2011

Cranberries and Spooky Happenings

cranberries


Cranberries are one of my favorite foods. They not only taste good but they're good for you and can be used in a multitude of recipes.

 I thought cranberries grew in bogs further north than upstate NY, so I was surprised to see a couple of stray cranberry plants in the woods, down by the creek, behind my townhouse. It was late afternoon when I decided to go for a stroll. Before too long the sun started to set, and I thought, 'I need to get back home before it gets dark because I'm alone and it's kinda creepy back here in the woods.'

However, those little red berries intrigued me and I figured if I pilfered at least one plant, I'd plant it in my garden, nurture it, and grow my own berries for the holidays. I waded across the creek in my neoprene rubber boots, bent over to pull up one of the plants, then slipped and fell into the creek.  Apparantly the water was warmer than the air because, when I stood up, I was steaming from neck to toe.

As I was making my way home in the dark I was thinking, "As soon as I get into the house, I'm going to make a cup of hot tea because I'm freezing." The air temp was 36 degrees. By the time I got to the door, there were two firetrucks, and two Irondequoit police cars, one with a K-9 unit.

My neighbor is a volunteer fireman. He looked out his back window and saw a headless form walking out of the woods with steam emaninating from its body and decided to call 911.

I never did get that cranberry plant, but I got a lot of metaphorical horse pucky from the neighbors. As for the fireman and the police, I told them I was happy to see my tax dollars hard at work. I gave the German shepherd a dog bisquit. 

7 comments:

lightly said...

damn, no pictures

because that would have been a sight to see.

now tell me since i need to know, how long before the laughing stopped

Pam Beers. said...

The neighbors are still laughing.

Christina said...

Oh I LOVE this story. I can completely see it happening to me. lol

Pam Beers. said...

Thanks, Christina. There's always a slice of humor to go along with that slice of life.

itsmecissy said...

I love cranberries too Pam. Last week my local grocery store had them 2 for $4 so I stocked up. I love making fresh crnaberry sauce in the middle of July or having fresh (actaully frozen) cranberries for my cranberry bread entry in th County Fair in September.

Cranberries rock!

Pam Beers. said...

Do you have a recipe you'd care to share for your cranberry bread, itsme? If so, I'd love it.

itsmecissy said...

I'll email it Pam.