Friday, January 14, 2011

Remember Captain Kangaroo?

Every now and then I get into a nostalgic mood. I never know what'll pop into my head. Yesterday I was thinking about my old childhood favorites Howdy Doody and Captain Kangaroo. What I didn't know is that Bob Keeshan was not only Captain Kangaroo, but he was the original Clarabell the Clown on The Howdy Doody Show. Just a bit of trivia. But, I digress.

My funniest memory of the captain was the day he made an on-air faux pas. My children were watching the show in black and white and enjoying the captain's antics along with Mr. Moose, and Mr. Greenjeans. At the end of the hour, I thought the show was over and Bob Keshan thought CBS had signed off. The next words out of his mouth were, "That ought to satisfy the little bastards for a while." Those words will live in my mind forever because I laughed so hard my stomach ached.

As I recall, it was tough explaining to my children what was so funny. In fact, I believe I changed the subject and got them ready to go outside to play.

4 comments:

Randy Johnson said...

Ah yes, The Captian ...I always wanted a net, and a thousand ping pong balls for my bedroom.

Pam Beers. said...

We can arrange to get a net for you, but the ping pong balls may be a bit more difficult. ;)

itsmecissy said...

I loved Captain Kangaroo. Grandfather clock was my favorite, although Bunny Rabbit and those ping pong balls ran a close second. Those were the days!

Pam Beers. said...

itsme: Those were the days when life seemed simpler.